Thursday, June 14, 2012

A Day in the City

Today Jeshua and I went for a grand adventure in the city.

We joined Yancy for his morning commute. The trains we had planned to take were delayed, so we rerouted. Yancy ended up transferring sooner than we expected, and didn't get a chance to say good bye to Jesh, who was pretty upset that Dad had left us!


Our first stop was the birth certificate corrections office. When we got Jeshua's birth certificate, Yancy wasn't listed -- no one was listed as father. I won't drag you through a retelling of what it has taken to get it fixed, but I will summarize it as follows: What should have taken six weeks and been free has taken 18 months and cost $70! Grrrr.

Next stop: A free summer kids concert at Madison Square Park (where Shake Shack is). Jesh seemed a little overwhelmed by all the people and noise. He stayed on my lap almost the entire time.


By the end of the concert, he was rocking out. (He is eating cheese cubes.)



Overall though, the best park of the concert was the after party: throwing rocks!




Next up were several errands -- distribution center, Trader Joes, MAC -- and a stroller nap. I had planned to go home after that, but couldn't resist letting the kiddo out when we took a short cut to our train through Central Park.

I think the concert was good for Jesh, but the park was much more his style. Space to explore and fewer people.

We started with a picnic.



Went exploring (i.e. He explored and I dragged the stroller along.)


(That's the kid who wouldn't leave my lap at the concert. :)

Found a rock!



Our wandering eventually led us to Heckscher Playground, one of the coolest playgrounds ever. Rather than playing on the many toys built for kids his age, Jeshua immediately honed in on this slide.


Now, Jeshua usually want to go down the slide; the bigger thrill seems to be standing at the highest point at the big toy. But there was a kid in line behind us, so I put him on my lap and down we went. Here is his reaction:


We spent 30 minutes playing on this slide. Other kids would come over and he'd tell them "No! No!"

Then it was time to go home before the afternoon commute made it difficult to get on the trains. It was a lovely day in the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment