We watched a six-month-old baby two weeks ago. I couldn't believe how sweet my kids, particularly Darcy, were with the baby.
It made me realize a few things about the difficulties we had, especially with the toddler, each time we brought a baby home.
Most of the bad behavior from the toddler is blamed on jealousy of the baby, and that certainly is part of it. But I forgot that these toddlers have zero experience with babies. The little scientists start experimenting. "What does this thing feel like? I think I'll poke it... in the eye."
They need to learn baby skills the same way they learn everything else: example, repetition and participation. That's one reason why our home as become more peaceful about six weeks after we've brought the baby home both times. Toddler is finally starting to understand Baby.
I had an awful time pumping after Jesh was born, and I haven't really tried it again. But seeing the way my kids became more loving and tender as they helped feed Connor made me think that when I have our next baby, I should try to pump more often and share feeding duties.
Maybe Darcy could handle the night feedings. :)
Haha, she really wants to be in charge of feeding duty! I have a sneaking suspicion that might wear off if you woke her up at midnight, lol.
ReplyDelete