Sunday, August 21, 2016

Philadelphia temple open house

The best part of our week was going to the Philadelphia temple open house. It was a crazy day. We missed our bus by seconds. I literally stood at the bus door and begged to get on as the driver pulled away. Despite the fact that we missed it because of poor planning on my part, the bus staff were really understanding — the kids melted their hearts — and got us good seats on the next bus. Unfortunately we had to wait 2.5 hours for that next bus.









Finally on the bus! Darcy is happier than she looks.



Arriving in Philadelphia. They look happy because they don't understand that I am about to drag them on a mile-and-a-half walk in 90+ degree weather to get to the temple.



The walk is over!



This is the view from the front.



I don't know if the kids absorbed much; they are hard to read. They were wowed by the Celestial room chandelier (biggest one I've ever seen, though it's not so impressive in this picture) and the squishy couches.




Temple architects and designers try to match each temple to its location. I loved that throughout the decor inside the temple, a theme was quill pens. You can see them in the molding (right term?) above the painting in this picture.



According to this blog (that discusses several Philly connections in the decor), "One of the quills represents the signing of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution in Philadelphia. The other represents the translation of the Book of Mormon in Pennsylvania." It's also a nod to recording names in the book of life and all the recording of work we do in the temple.

It was odd to me to compare how it felt to be in an undedicated temple for a tour with how you feel when you're in a dedicated temple to serve God. Despite its beauty, there is power, glory and joy that is not in that temple yet.

We changed clothes for the tour. We're posing here by the Christus in the visitors center. 



We took a cab back to the bus stop. It was only $7.50 plus tip. I wish I had done that both ways! It was really hot waiting for the bus and the kids were pretty fried.





Thank you to all who prayed for us to have a safe trip. The Lord answered those prayers. I felt it in the kindness of strangers, the endurance of the kids, and a stamina of patience that is greater than my own.

Happy Sabbath!

1 comment:

  1. What a great theme for that temple...it sounds like a completely exhausting day, but what a wonderful experience to go through with the kids before the dedication. Glad everyone survived the wait, the heat, the hike and the trip safely.

    ReplyDelete